Who doesn't want to spring into Easter with a joyful baking project? In this recipe for Vanilla Bean Jelly Bean Cupcakes, Mindo's gorgeously aromatic Ecuadorian vanilla beans are the star of the show — lending a deep, fruity complexity that's the perfect complement to the cupcakes' marshmallowy sweetness.
All together, these treats are as soft and rosy and comfy as a hug from a bunny, so try them out today!
- 1 Mindo Ecuadorian vanilla bean
- 3/4 cup cream (or milk)
- 1/2 cup vanilla-infused cream
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp crushed/chopped jelly beans
- 1/4 cup vanilla-infused cream
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. For the vanilla-infused cream, split the Mindo Ecuadorian vanilla bean into two halves lengthwise using a sharp knife. Scrape out the seeds for use in the infused cream.
3. Place the cream, vanilla seeds, and vanilla pod halves into a small saucepan. Heat on medium until the mixture begins to steam.
4. Remove saucepan from heat and set aside, allowing 30 minutes to infuse.
5. Whisk together the dry ingredients for the cupcakes (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar) in a bowl.
6. Once the cream has been infused with the vanilla for 30 minutes, remove the vanilla pod halves from the cream using a fork or tongs.
7. Combine the wet ingredients for the cupcakes (1/2 cup vanilla-infused cream, butter, egg, yogurt, vanilla extract) in a bowl.
8. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix with a spoon or spatula until no flour pockets remain visible.
9. If possible, use a food processor to crush the jelly beans, or chop with a sharp knife.
10. Fold the jelly beans evenly into the batter with a spatula.
11. Pour or spoon the batter into a cupcake pan with lined wells. Fill each well about halfway to two-thirds full.
12. Bake until a toothpick stuck into the center comes away clean, about 13-18 minutes.
13. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
14. For the frosting, soften butter at room temperature until it will incorporate smoothly into a spread.
15. Add butter, the rest of the vanilla-infused cream, and vanilla extract to a large bowl and mix with a hand or stand mixer on medium speed until creamy.
16. Turn the speed of the mixer to low and add powdered sugar to the mix slowly until desired consistency is achieved. (Stiff frosting may need more cream, and runny frosting may need more sugar.)
17. Once the cupcakes are cooled entirely, apply frosting to them using a piping bag or plastic bag with the corner cut off.
18. Add jelly beans to the top of the cupcakes as desired, and enjoy!
Leave a comment